Be Bop Wino Pages

Joan Selects - the complete Joan Selects Collection

Big Ten Inchers - 78rpm rips by El Enmascarado


Attention Mac Users!

Mac users have been experiencing problems in unpacking the WinRAR archives used on this blog. Two solutions have been suggested.

1. Use The Unarchiver - www.theunarchiver.com - see comments on Little Esther Bad Baad Girl post for details.

2. Use Keka - http://www.kekaosx.com/en/ - see comments on Johnny Otis Presents post.

Thursday 2 November 2017

Old King Gold Volume 4


Side One:
01. Hideaway - Freddy King
02. Fever - Little Willie John
03. Little Things Mean A Lot - Billy Ward & The Dominoes
04. Good Rockin' Tonight - Wynonie Harris
05. Trying - Todd Rhodes & Laverne Baker
06. September Song - Earl Bostic

Side Two:
01. Chica Boo - Lloyd Glenn
02. Kansas City - Hank Ballard & The Midnighters
03. All My Love Belongs To You - Bull Moose Jackson
04. Another Woman's Man - Joe Tex
05. Shout Bamalama - Otis Redding
06. Tenderly - Lynn Hope


or alternatively:


I think this was the first Old King Gold LP that I bought back in the mid to late 1970's. I probably chose it because I recognised some of the artists on the back cover - Freddy King, Joe Tex and Otis Redding - and also because I had other versions of some of the songs - "Good Rockin' Tonight" (Elvis) and "Kansas City" (Wilbert Harrison). After one listen that was it, I was hooked on R&B.

This LP is in much better shape than the ones I have already posted, so there was no need to go looking for alternative sources for any of the tracks. This time you are hearing the record as it is. I've solved the problems I was having with getting good rips - it was all caused by settings on Realtek Audio Manager, so I may well revisit some of my recent rips. It took a day and a half of fiddling with PC and HiFi settings before I discovered what the problem was. That's me below, hard at work in Be Bop Wino MegaCorp H.Q. yesterday.


The new volume settings aren't what I'm used to, so you may find that I slightly overcooked the rip. For once I had to use Mp3 Gain to reduce the volume on the sound files as they were at speaker blasting level.

So enjoy more Old King Gold, recorded in all-new Drunkophonic 3D Vivid Distortion Sound. I'll be back with even more Gold in a day or two!

11 comments:

Bob Mac said...

Thanks BW, nice to have another volume in this series.

Leo Maier said...

thank you!!!

boogiewoody said...

I hope the mp3s are playable. I definitely recorded at too high a volume, resulting in heavy "clipping" on the WAV file. I've been tweaking the audio
settings on my laptop, and have obtained a better sounding recording of Volume 6. I may rerecord this volume and its predecessors.

BW

Bob Mac said...

BW: Just took a quick listen, I'm still on the road so played on my laptop only, but sound is OK. The Hideaway sounds great, very bright sound, but I did notice a bit of clipping on the Otis Redding track. If you do rerecord this and the other volumes I guess I'll replace them but for now they are OK.

boogiewoody said...

Thanks for the info Bob, that's interesting to know. The Otis Redding track is already very distorted on the LP so there's not much I can do about that. I may rerecord just to compare.

BW

B_B said...

Purists will no doubt (no Gwen Stefani) gasp, but, if one were to “substitute” a “clean” Otis on this one (King ri was a --- gasp again --- re-record, mind you), it might be best “Found” on the old Rhino “OTIS!” CD boxed set.

As opposed to, say this Eastern Euro pressing (!):
https://www.discogs.com/Otis-Redding-Shout-Bamalama-Fat-Gal/release/3143028

First place I ever had Otis’ ORIGINAL “Shout Bamalama” * in DECENT sound was on one of Tim’s old "Sin Alley" LPs . . .
. . .

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Shake-Shake-Shake-It-Baby-Sin-Alley-Volume-3-21-Hot-50s-Rockabilly-RnB-Blasters-Red-Hot-Rock/release/4231980

* Otis Redding & the Pinetoppers' "Shout Bamalama" was originally released on Orbit 135 (1961), then Confederate ‎– 135 (1962) . . .

boogiewoody said...

I've got "Shout Bamalama" on a few CDs but I've never thought of comparing them for quality.It's just always sounded distorted to me. Thanks for a bit of the history behind the song. I read somewhere that the song was originally called "Gamma Lama." It's not hard to spot the influence of Little Richard on this number. Another of my favourites in this frantic style is "Rock and Roll Deacon" by Screamin' Joe Neal.

B_B said...

The various "Wild And Frantic" series compilations ought to really be just the elixir for anyone with "Screamin'" tastes in '50s R 'n' R and R&B.

The first I had was the "Wild And Frantic" ("Wilderness" label) LP, circa late '80s(?). With a standing in the shadow of Richard cover design & all.

(Discogs it):
https://www.discogs.com/Various-Wild-And-Frantic/release/3224892

"Wild and Frantic" then went the "overseas" CD route, with (at least 3!) "Official" label CDs with that title (or a variation thereof . . .)

Sample:
https://www.discogs.com/release/7866604-Wild-Frantic/images

"26 black killer dillers with a heavy beat competing with Little Richard's trained tonsils..."

And, to confuse things a bit (MORE!), there was also OTHER albums entitled "Wild & Frantic" . . .

One from "Mr. Masetro" (cat. no. 300) AND one of those 10-CD P.D. ("Documents") kraut boxed sets ("Wild & Frantic: Rock & Roll") which had more than just Richard clones:

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/poprock/detail/-/art/Wild-Frantic-Rock-Roll/hnum/1451861

And didn't Ace do a compilation CD with that ("Richard clones") theme?

Oh, and, just to bring (wild) things back where they began?!:
https://www.discogs.com/Little-Richard-The-Wild-Frantic-Little-Richard/master/512653

Slippery slope, as usual!

boogiewoody said...

If you want to get really lost in the wild world of obscure R&B, then the "Stompin'" series is the place to go. I first spotted them as LP's back in maybe the late 1980's / early '90's - in the record shop browsers where only the most fearless dared to look. I never summoned up the nerve to buy any. They were in there alongside the "Savage Kick" series and "Black Rock 'n' Roll" and other crazed bootleg collections of long forgotten slabs of rhythm 'n' booze madness.

When they started coming out on CD I plucked up the courage to buy a few. Then I bought more and ended up with nearly thirty of the buggers. I never did get them all but hey, I've got enough to keep me goin'. Twist and shout, check 'em out, if you can find them. Let's face it, your life ain't complete without the likes of Lil' Ray & The Premiers, Moohah, Doc Starkes, Cry Baby Curtis, Lord Tennyson, Nat The Cool Cat, Big Brown & The Gamblers (no, really!) and dozens of other such like pillars of Western Civilization.

I believe they were compiled by a well known UK actor with a taste for this kind of stuff. Sir, whoever you are, the far flung legions of Be Bop Wino salute you!

B_B said...

“Lost” . . . . but making pretty good time, I’d say!

Doc Stark(e)s & the Night Riders . . . An all-time favorite!

Even if only doing the (Bo-dance-cious!) “backing” thing such as on The Night Riders with Mel Smith “Pretty Plaid Skirt (And Long Black Sox)” (Sue 713, 1959)

Of course, blame it ALL on Barney . . . Who, it so happens, had Mel Smith’s “Pretty Plaid Skirt” on one of the early volumes of “Desperate Rock ‘n’ Roll” . . .

Oh, and, to make mates worse --- on your dwindling $aving$ account? --- there was a Starkes CD . . !

B_B said...

Typo patrol!:

. . . to make MATTERS worse . . .

NOT:

"to make mates worse. . ." !